Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Friday, April 13, 2007

What are my goals - in meme form!

I've discovered another fantastic blog to which I am addicted to. Kellementology is written by Kellypea who has a terrific sense of humor and a great way of writing that pretty much leaves me wanting more after reading her posts. Thank God she left a nice comment on this lil blog a couple weeks ago, or I probably would never have discovered her. Thanks, Kelly!

Well one day I got an e-mail from her, she was letting me know that she had tagged me for a meme. I IMMEDIATELY got soooooooo excited, as I love those meme things with a burning passion! They are usually in list form, and being the Queen of Dorkdom, I am all about the list. So I opened up my browser, clicked on my favorites and took a look at her blog. The post was titled Setting Goals: Tag, You're It. The title alone should have been my first clue that this wasn't your everyday meme and soon after sinking into her post, I realized that this meme was not going to be easy to write about.

This meme is asking you what your top goals are to achieve your wildest dreams.. ohh lordie.. some of my wildest dreams really can't be shared on a foodie blog - even the ones that include Gordon and Tyler! Hell, especially the ones including Gordon and Tyler. *dreamy sigh* Is it getting warm in here?

Moving along! After removing my mind from that luscious, luscious gutter, I realized those weren't the wildest dreams Kelly was referring to. No, what she was asking me was to share with you those goals that I want to achieve to really maximize the enjoyment and fulfillment of my life. As flattered as I was that she picked me to tag, I was also more than a bit squeamish to actually follow through with this post. You see, this meme forces you to take a look at your life - where you are at now, where you've been and where you want to go.

I am not a big goal setter.. quite possibly because I've never really learned how to set a goal - a realistic one anyway. I'm more of the mind-set that you just have to deal with what life throws at you moreso than the mind-set of life needs to deal with what you throw at it. Yanno? I'm also a creature of habit.. and although I can't speak for anyone else, I know that in my case a creature of habit doesn't set goals because that would mean leaving your comfort zone behind - and often. Sure I enjoy a challenge - as long as that challenge stays within the perimeters of my comfort zone. Kinda pathetic, isn't it?

Well after much thought, I decided to go ahead and try to write this post.. to try to venture out past my comfort zone of writing about the foods I make and the dork that I am. And the reason for that is, eventually this blog - if I intend to stay with this - is going to have to change.. I'm hoping for the better - we'll see. ;)

What I came to realize is that many goals are definitely not for me. If I am to be true to myself AT LEAST ONCE in my life, there is really only one goal that needs to be set and met- and then after that, the biggest hurdle of my life, has been accomplished then any other goal would be a cake walk.

I need to get healthy. It's that simple, yet so complicated. I need to lose a boatload of weight. I need to get my sugar under control. I need to quit smoking. I need to start taking care of myself in ways I've never bothered with in all of my close to 40 fakkin years. I need to retrain myself, I guess. Not an easy task. Especially for a creature of habit.

So far, I've been more than lucky that my sugar hasn't caused many problems. But I know if I continue to half-ass it, one day I'm going to start having problems with my feet or my eyes or God forbid my kidneys. My father had diabetes and took 2 insulin shots a day for 10 years. He lost a boatload of weight and was taken off the insulin, as if he'd never had the disease. Unfortunately, who knew how long he had it before he was finally diagnosed (and that was a fluke!) because ultimately, it was complications of diabetes that started his kidneys to fail. He was on dialysis for the last 3 years of his life.

I don't want to go through that.

And so, I firmly believe in my heart of hearts, if I can get my weight and all around health under control, any other hurdle in my life will not be any where near as difficult or scary. I will gain self confidence and the true worth of accomplishing something difficult.

So that's it - that's my goal to make my life worth living. Wish me luck. ;)

You're not getting off that easily, kids..

I'm tagging:
Morven
Julie
and
Jerry

xoxo






Nahh.. there's no way I can be THAT serious on this lil blog o'mine! Kelly did another meme that looked fun to do, and although she didn't tag me for that one, I'm stealing it because I haven't seen this one yet. hee!

Three Things

Three things that scare me

1- Heights and falling from them.
2- Bugs!!!
3- Something bad happening to one of my fur babies

Three people who make me laugh
1- Denis Leary
2- Lewis Black
3- Mike Rowe (and drool)

Three things I love
1- My dogs
2- The wee hours of the morning before anyone else is awake
3- 80's rock

Three things I hate
1- My dead-end, boring, life sucking job
2- Braggarts
3- Having to pee when there is no bathroom close by

Three things I don’t understand
1- George Dubya
2- Why we are "helping" a country that hates us
3- What the fuck is up with America and the voting on AI this season??

Three things on my desk
1- Pictures of the dogs & assorted dorky friends
2- Shite loads of DVD movies
3- A coffee mug

Three things I want to do before I die
1- Visit and/or move to Italy
2- Visit Ireland
3- Go on a no-limit shopping spree that someone else pays for

Three things I can do
1- Take care of my family
2- Make my friends laugh
3- Bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan

Three things I can’t do
1- Perform brain surgery
2- Flip crepes (Gah)
3- Shoot lightning bolts from my finger tips

Three things I think you should listen to
1- Your heart
2- A hellacious thunder storm
3- The sounds of silence

Three things you should never listen to
1- Sanjaya Malakar
2- Someone belittling you
3- Any unsolicited advice I might throw your way

Three things I’d like to learn (but won’t)
1- Forensic science
2- How to do that Riverdance dancing.. what's it called?
3- Curling

Three shows I watched as a kid
1- The Brady Bunch!! WOOO!! Go Brady's!!
2- Gilligan's Island
3- Looney Tunes (actually, I still watch all these shows)

And YES I am going to tag a few more people...

Laurie
Gattina
Helene

xoxo

Labels: ,

Comments on "What are my goals - in meme form!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/16/2007 12:37 PM) : 

Ack!

O.K. O.K. It's only fair since I tagged you with the thinking blog award! I'll try to get it out in the next few days.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/16/2007 12:40 PM) : 

Hey wait!

I just noticed you went an' tagged me with the hard one! Oh, C'Mon!

I'll do it, I just hadda grumble a bit.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (4/16/2007 12:50 PM) : 

Awesome post, I hope you keep us up to date with your progress! We will be your cheerleaders!

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (4/16/2007 2:34 PM) : 

I feel your pain on the dead end job. Oh boy, do I feel it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/16/2007 5:59 PM) : 

Oh my gawd you are such a stud! TWO, count them, TWO memes. And I loved the clip on Starbucks. Hilarious. And congrats on your superior goal. Outstanding. I'll try to stop bitching about my phoodplan so I'm not derailing others who are more serious. And serious thanks for the kudos up front!

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (4/16/2007 7:54 PM) : 

Lis sweetie, thanks for tagging me the easier one, kekeeee. I've done this one, seems the same eh.
And hope you achieve all your goals... and wild dreams!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (4/16/2007 8:19 PM) : 

Allright, allright...Actually it's a fun one! I have been thinking about it all day...give me a couple of days...
As a personal trainer...I make house calls you know...but I eat a lot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/16/2007 11:33 PM) : 

I love this post! The Riverdance - clogging thing - all that leg muscle - no can do. I think all my eating goes to my thighs and therefore they can't move it that way! I did try to make a "wore too high of a heel" trip look like a Riverdance once...ha! Not so graceful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/17/2007 4:45 AM) : 

Great memes :) I can relate to the weight loss goal - with the weather getting warmer (I think?) in your end of the world, it's easy to just start with a 30 minute walk every night after dinner. It's a bit of a struggle at first, but you'll find that it gets easier! I can't quite be your cheerleader from over in Australia, but I'll be cheering you towards your goals in spirit! :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/17/2007 5:11 AM) : 

I go to this blog

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/17/2007 2:16 PM) : 

Jerry - Thanks for the Thinking Blog award! I didn't realize I could make anyone think. ;) And yep! I knew the harder one would suit you well =)

Sara - Thanks! IF there is any progress I will definitely keep you updated. =))

Cheryl - Tell me about it. God.

Kelly - ha! Well I dunno about stud, but I'll do most anything for a list or a form to fill out. har!

Gattina sweetie - Aww I didn't realize.. oh well I'll catch you another time. ;) *hugs*

Helene - I can't wait to see yours!

Chris - HAHAHHAA! I've made many of those trips before too. ;)

Ellie - You've read my mind. Hubbs and I are going to start walking within the next week or so - once this wintery weather goes away for good!

Pom - isn't it a great blog? =) Now how do I talk you into writing your blog in English as well as French - so I can read about all these wonderful treats you make that make me drool! xoxo

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (4/17/2007 5:35 PM) : 

Lis- I'm behind you on your goal. As food bloggers it is easier to relate to the fun, fanciful & sensuous part of food, but certainly just as important is how it nourishes our bodies. Good for you and for us!

 

Blogger Valentina said ... (4/17/2007 5:38 PM) : 

Lis, you write brilliantly!! Loved reading it..

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (4/17/2007 7:50 PM) : 

You should learn curling...it is much fun. I got tagged for the goals one too...but I am having a hard time thinking.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/17/2007 11:08 PM) : 

Great post!
I have to agree with you 100% on the AI thing...what the heck??

 

Blogger Freya said ... (4/18/2007 6:49 AM) : 

What a great post! Thanks for sharing with us all of your unrestrained thoughts! It's always good to start the day with a chuckle!
Good luck with reaching the goals. It's so hard to be a food person AND be on a diet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/18/2007 1:27 PM) : 

Let me know if you get around to fulfilling the visiting Ireland part!

 

Blogger tammy said ... (4/19/2007 2:47 PM) : 

I'm trying to be healthier, too. Fresh air and sunny days certainly help. Bring on spring.

 

post a comment