Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Sunday, April 08, 2007

WCC No. 15 - Easter/Spring Time Food

When I first saw the theme for this month's Weekend Cookbook Challenge, I knew right away what I was going to make - my family's Easter Ricotta & Rice Pie. It actually turned out very good this year, better than last. Yep it shore did. Uhh huh.

Okay then.. well when one loses her mind and actually FORGETS to take pictures? One moves on and figures out what else she can make. *sigh*

It didn't take me long to figure out something else to make, especially when I made a boat load of rice for the pie and only needed like a raft load. So with all this extra rice I went in search of a good rice pudding. I've only made it once before and that recipe had some weird ingredient in it like mustard or something (No, not really - but something as equally weird that I can't remember) and it tasted awful. This time I was bound and determined to skip over all weird ingredient list recipes and find something that was much more suitable to dessert, which I think we can all agree.. mustard containing puddings are not dessert fare. (again there really was no mustard)

I stumbled upon a celebrity chef's recipe and figured it had to be good. I mean, anything he makes has to be good because he so fakkin hot. And when you think of fakkin hot celebrity chefs, who do you think of?? Yes, Gordon Ramsay!!

But no, not this time..

This time it was the incredibly sexy, ultimate recipe creating, McCheffy of the foodie world - Tyler Florence - whose recipe I chose. Dudes.. how can he be so hot?? So not fair. SO! NOT! FAIR!

*ahem*

And so happily I stood over a hot pot stirring a simmering, creamy concoction of rice, heavy cream, raisins, sugar and butter for 25 minutes, daydreaming about Tyler making this exact recipe in his own kitchen wearing nothing but a green and white striped apron and tube socks.. his hair falling into his eyes.. those dimples.. those lips.. quite possibly clenching his rock hard chee.. Oh! Hi! How are yas? Would you like to try my rice pudding? It's good!

Here.. try!

Rice Pudding
Tyler McCheffy Florence's Rockin' Rice Pudding

3 c. white rice, cooked (I went with short rice for it's creaminess)
3 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon, grated
1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided

Rice Pudding

Combine cooked rice, milk, sugar and butter in a medium saucepan. Add raisins and vanilla. Cook for 25 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. Mix in lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Spoon pudding into a serving dish and lust dust with remaining cinnamon. May serve chilled or at room temperature.

Rice Pudding

I would like to thank Marta of An Italian in the US for taking on the challenge and hosting this month's round up! And, of course, the incredibly sweet Sara of i like to cook for creating the event way back when.. hehehe

Rice Pudding

Happy Easter everyone!

xoxo

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "WCC No. 15 - Easter/Spring Time Food"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/08/2007 2:33 PM) : 

Hi Lis - Happy Easter to you! This rice pudding looks amazing - it's a dessert I really enjoy, yet never take the time to actually make... 'bout time to change that, I reckon...

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (4/08/2007 3:43 PM) : 

How can you laugh that hard about rice pudding? So I had to read it out loud to the group now the entire house is hysterical now.
Happy Easter...the rice pudding looks great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/08/2007 4:32 PM) : 

mmmm rice pudding and Tyler Florence, could life get any sweeter? well, there was that time he was in Mexico making vanilla flan...

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (4/08/2007 5:11 PM) : 

Luckily my husband is now trained to ask, even when we go out to a restaurnt...ask if I need to take a picture of the food!

 

Blogger Morven said ... (4/08/2007 8:20 PM) : 

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I'm drooling over both Tyler and the puddin'

 

Blogger Helene said ... (4/09/2007 12:58 AM) : 

Oh yum...and Yum for Tyler...! BTW, his blog is reporting an increase of hits from a well known Italian based blog in the last week or so...could you have anything with it...you sweet stalker!

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (4/09/2007 10:30 AM) : 

This could be the funniest post ever.

Just the mention of Tyler has now distracted me for the day. Its just not that fair to be that cute.

Amazing looking rice pudding. Just jumps out of the screen at you. Looks warm and delicious.

 

Blogger tammy said ... (4/09/2007 10:39 AM) : 

Yum! Great save with the pudding. I had rice pie over the weekend, too. Love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/09/2007 11:27 AM) : 

Oh man, now I am dreaming of rice pudding. I've never really had a version that I loved, but if this one is as good as you say, I might have to try it out this week. Thanks!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/09/2007 11:51 AM) : 

Oh yum, I love your rice pudding..so creamy and sexy. It is looks really hot like Gordo ooops Tyler I mean ;)

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (4/09/2007 2:05 PM) : 

Add some rum to that rice pudding and you're all set!

 

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said ... (4/09/2007 2:30 PM) : 

This looks like goodness in a bowl. Yum!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/09/2007 3:29 PM) : 

Thanks Lis for the delicious rice pudding and for the yummy celebrity chef, you've made rice pudding sexy!!

 

Blogger Linda said ... (4/09/2007 5:25 PM) : 

i am always craving this dessert... for every meal. looks wonderful!

 

Blogger Sara said ... (4/09/2007 6:10 PM) : 

I don't like rice pudding. But THIS looks gooooood. Any leftovers? ;)

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (4/09/2007 6:55 PM) : 

Tubesocks????

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/09/2007 9:45 PM) : 

LOL, oh you crack me up! Love the post, and the rice pud looks spiffy as!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/09/2007 10:00 PM) : 

Gilly - Thanks - same to you! Yep, I'd say it's about time. =)

Tanna - *blush* Awww shucks..

Marce - Ohh man.. Tyler wearing an apron and flip flops in Mexico stirring his creamy flan... dreamy. ;)

Peabody - I thought mine was too.. apparently not.

Morv - hahaa!

Helene! ROFL I actually read your comment and then RUSHED to go to his blog to see!! Call me gullible. ;)
xoxo

Cheryl - Yay! I'm glad you liked it and thanks! I got to use my pretty blue glass bowls. :D

Tammy - Thanks!

Laura - It wasn't bad.. not bad at all. After it chilled it kind of solidified a bit.. so I left it out to come to room temp and it was better than it was right off the stove. ALSO! I made the avocado's with soy for our lunch on Saturday and it was fabulous! Thank you Thank you!

Veron - hehehe I was thinking of you while writing this post. If only I had found a Gordo recipe.. this could have went in an entirely other hottie direction. hee!

Bril - I'm thinkin' you're right!

Susan - Thanks!

Monisha - how cool is that?! Thanks, sweetie! =)

Linda - Thank you! It really is a craveable dessert. =)

Sara - hehe thanks =) Nope, sorry to say, he ate the last of it tonight. lol

Callipygia - don't ruin the fantasy girlfriend!! hehe

Ellie muh luv - Thanks sweetie =)

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (4/10/2007 8:30 AM) : 

Lis, not fair! I love rice pudding, it has a nostalgia "thing" for me.

It looks delicious and I would never have thought of adding raisins to rice pudding!

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (4/11/2007 8:28 AM) : 

Hi Lis,

I've been meaning to comment on that God of FN Chefs, Mr. Florence (I don't care what anyone says, I like him with a little meat on his bones!!) This rice pudding looks so yummy! And I can report that it works out just fine in a microwave because this was my supper last night in my little ole room in Fairfield CT

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/12/2007 4:11 PM) : 

Would you believe I have never had rice pudding... I am now so intrigued! That looks really good!

 

Blogger chemcookit said ... (4/14/2007 2:32 PM) : 

Hey Lis, this post cracked me up! Thank you so much for the laugh and for the recipe. And.. please, promise you'll make the rice/ricotta pie again and you'll share the recipe with us.. I'm really curious about it! We can do this sacrifice and eat it even if it's not Easter, right? :)

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/17/2007 11:13 AM) : 

Marta.. yes I will make it again - but in the meantime I'll e-mail you the recipe.. yanno, just in case. =)

I know I'm going to make Shadone before next Easter, so maybe I'll do both? =)

xoxo

 

post a comment