Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Dudes! I'm late for Donna again!

Jeez.. I hope this pattern of tardy entries to HHDD doesn't continue any longer! I apologize for being late, Helene my love!

So yes, it's that time again and this is my second submission for a Hay Hay It's Donna Day event! This month's host is one of my closest and dearest friends, Helene of Tartelette - she is the incredibly talented winner of last month's HHDD with her dreamy Pillow Cheesecake with Salted Butter Caramel Sauce. *swoon*

This month it's her turn to host this popular event and she's chosen mousse as the theme. I am especially happy over this because I heart mousse but have never made it before. What a simple dessert to make that yields such creamy, rich rewards. But you'd never know just how easy making mousse is if you were to have witnessed me trying to decide which flavor to make this past month! Ohhh and then when I decided exactly what I wanted (Thursday NIGHT)? I didn't have the damn ingredients! I ended up writing Helene and begging her to allow me to slip my entry in a day late.. why do I stress over things like this so much? Is it my extreme dorkiness? Is it the pressure to live up to what Donna would approve of? After all she is the Australian equivalent to The Martha and we all know how I love The Martha. Shhhh you haters! :)

I don't know what the reason is, but I am quite relieved now that my mousse has been decided upon, shopped for and finally made. WOOO! And I gotsta say.. I'm quite delighted with the results.. and it's too bad that Hubbs went on a overnighter with his brother this evening, because it's highly doubtful there will be any left come tomorrow evening when he returns. So much for behaving for my diet*! I am weak.. especially when it comes to the most amazing tasting caramelized banana mousse covered in the most decadent dark chocolate mousse I've ever had..

Deep dark chocolate covered caramelized banana mousse

Let's start from the bottom, shall we? Caramelized Banana Mousse - ripe bananas sliced and bathed in a hot buttery caramel sauce until they are warmed through and soft, the caramel is so silky and the bananas melt in your mouth. It's a miracle that there were enough caramelized bananas left for the mousse as I had an extremely hard time walking away from taste testing - you know, for quality control? Mmm hmm..

After that luscious component of my double layered dessert was finished and tucked away into my fridge to set, I began preparing the Deep Dark Chocolate Mousse. Not your ordinary chocolate mousse, kids.. No, this mousse uses 12 ounces of fine semi-sweet chocolate. TWELVE. It is without a doubt and unarguably the deepest, darkest, richest chocolate mousse I have ever had. This mousse will stop you in your tracks. Most definitely THE chocolate lovers answer to a quick and easy way to get your fix.

Two equally decadent mousses paired together for one phenomenally creamy, rich and luscious dessert.

Deep dark chocolate covered caramelized banana mousse
Deep Dark Chocolate Covered Caramelized Banana Mousse

Both recipes found on a new recipe collection site I've found called Food Down Under

Caramelized Banana Mousse
2 TBS. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 c. sliced bananas
1/2 c. plain yogurt
2 egg yolks
1/3 c. sugar
1 pkt. unflavored gelatin
4 oz. orange juice
3 c. whipping cream
3 TBS. sugar
2 egg whites

Melt butter in nonstick frying pan. Add brown sugar and bananas. Saute bananas until they are well coated and soft. Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.

Carmelized bananas

Add yogurt and puree with bananas in blender.

Beat egg yolks and 1/3 cup sugar in stainless steel bowl over hot water bath or top half of double boiler until mixture lightens in color and becomes fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add gelatin that has been softened in orange juice to egg mixture and continue beating for another 2 minutes. Remove mixture from heat and combine with banana puree, mixing thoroughly. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whip cream and 3 TBS. sugar into soft peaks. Beat egg whites until they form firm peaks (make sure you don't whip them until they are dry. You want firm peaks but still slightly wet). Fold 2/3 of the whipped cream (reserving 1/3 for garnish - Or if you are going to do the double layer mousse, I used the remaining whipped cream in the chocolate mousse.) into the chilled banana puree. Fold in egg whites. Chill for 4-6 hours.

Serves 6-8.

Deep Dark Chocolate Mousse

12 oz. top-quality semi-sweet chocolate
1 c. whipping cream
1/4 c. hot coffee
1/4 c. hot water
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
5 egg whites
1/3 c. sugar

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over low heat. Keep an eye on it, stirring often, to make sure chocolate does not burn or seize, then take it off the heat immediately.

Whip the cream and set aside.

Pour the hot coffee and hot water slowly into a bowl with the egg yolks, whisking briskly as you go until completely mixed. Add the vanilla to the egg yolks.

Whisk in the melted chocolate. Keep whisking even after the mixture is completely combined, this will help to cool the chocolate. Whip the egg whites and the sugar until peaking but not dry.

Fold the egg-white meringue into the chocolate mixture carefully with a wooden spoon.

Fold in the whipped cream. The key to a great chocolate mousse is that you can't incorporate hot melted chocolate into whipped cream. The chocolate mixture must be cool to the touch or the cream will break. Lightly blend the two mixtures until uniform.

Chill for 4-6 hours.

Once both mousses are set, simply layer them, banana first - chocolate on top, into decorative bowl or glass / cup.

Serves 4-6.

Deep dark chocolate covered caramelized banana mousse

As always, I'd like to thank the beautiful host of this month's HHDD - Helene! Also I'd also like to give a shout out to Barbara of Winos and Foodies for she is the creative genius behind the Hay Hay it's Donna Day! event, started wayyyy back in October of 2005. Thanks Barbara!

And before I get into my notes on the recipes, I'd also like to make mention for anyone who is not aware of Barbara's LIVESTRONG Day event:

"A TASTE OF YELLOW is your chance to participate in LIVESTRONG Day by doing what food bloggers do best - bake.

LIVESTRONG Day is the Lance Armstrong Foundation's (LAF) grassroots advocacy initiative to unify people affected by cancer and to raise awareness about cancer survivorship issues on a national level and in local communities across the country. LIVESTRONG Day 2007 will occur on Wednesday, May 16."

What say we all participate in this event to show our support of such a worthy cause!

*I should have made this tomorrow - the very last day of submissions, so I could take the bulk of it to work the next day. As it is right now, my fridge is calling me in this sing-songy voice that is totally mesmerizing and completely obliterating my will-power to stay away from the bad (no, the OH SO GOOD) food.. to succumb to the overwhelming desire to sit on the floor in front of the fridge with a spoon in one hand and a bowl of mousse in the other, until all evidence of such debauchery has been eliminated.

My. God.

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "Dudes! I'm late for Donna again!"

 

Blogger Helene said ... (4/22/2007 1:02 AM) : 

It was worth the wait...me glued to my screen day after day....! oh bo...this is pure torture this late at might..or early morning! Gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/22/2007 1:49 AM) : 

Dangit woman, putting photos this delicious up just isn't fair unless you also supply some tissues for me to wipe the drool off the keyboard with :( This double-delight mousse sounds wickedly good!

 

Blogger Alpineberry Mary said ... (4/22/2007 5:41 AM) : 

Donna Hay would never disapprove of something so rich and yummy! And it's practically health food with the bananas in there and dark chocolate being good for you.

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (4/22/2007 8:14 AM) : 

Oh my - while not a fan of dark chocolate, that caramel banana mousse has me drooling on my laptop! Good thing I haven't gone shopping yet so I can still add whatever I need to the list so I can make that!
Yum!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (4/22/2007 9:15 AM) : 

With a submission this good I really don't think it matters how late you are, this looks amazing and has just forced me to eat a handful of chocolate chips because I needed something sweet.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (4/22/2007 11:06 AM) : 

My hat is off to you...Oh, well I always use this bowl for a hat so if you wouldn't mind just fill it half full of the banana and half with the chocolate and we'll all be happy OK.

Good Land Alive that is really over the top spectacular!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/22/2007 7:57 PM) : 

You know what they say, Lisa, better late than never!

I am completely drooling over this mousse. For someone who's making it for the first time, you have done a SPECTACULAR JOB!!!

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (4/22/2007 9:17 PM) : 

You are the gorgeous girl that shows up late to the party and wows everyone. Carmelized bananas in your mousse, oh you pulled out the big guns here.

I'm drooling.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/22/2007 11:03 PM) : 

Caramelized Banana Mousse, that sounds so, so, SO good. And looks equally delicious too I might add. :)

You made me crack up about non Martha lovers being haters! I have a love-hate relationship with her. I love what she does, and was even enjoying her morning show for a while. But then I saw that episode where she told Joey he looked like a turtle and I just felt so bad for him I stopped watching. She's a genius to be sure, but sometimes I think she can be snooty. Still, I enjoy her site and magazines... see what I mean about love-hate? Maybe it's more love-dont like very much.

:)

Ari (Baking and Books)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/22/2007 11:48 PM) : 

You are a rock star! That mousse is amazing. Donna would be proud :)

I, once again, failed to meet the deadline. I need to get myself organized.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4/23/2007 4:57 AM) : 

it looks wonderful, Lisa!

 

Blogger Anita said ... (4/23/2007 11:20 AM) : 

Lisa,
that is so over-the-top delicious! I'm glad your entry made it in!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/23/2007 11:49 AM) : 

At least you got your mousse in. I had to prepare for the chocolate class I was teaching(haven't tested the timings of my recipes till the day before)and did not have the time to do it. Can't wait for the round-up!
Your mousse looks fantastic! Drool!

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (4/23/2007 12:34 PM) : 

Lis, you are just turning into the White Rabbit of food bloggers. Always late, but you show up with style! Maybe I'll make you some carrot risotto! Actually, forget that, just pass the Caramelized Banana Mousse please!

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (4/23/2007 12:56 PM) : 

Well, Lis, this is totally worth waiting for!

And tks for sharing the link!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/23/2007 1:06 PM) : 

Wow Lisa, this is stellar! I imagine that the carmelized bananas was a perfect match to delicious and rich chocolate...
Outstanding!

 

Blogger Linda said ... (4/23/2007 1:47 PM) : 

too many delicious flavors went into this dessert. my head is spinning. i'm overwhelmed with cravings.

wow.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (4/23/2007 2:27 PM) : 

P.S. YES!!! I'll do the grilled pizza posting but it'll be after we get back from our trip on the 14th. Knowing you, however, you'll have perfected it before then.

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (4/23/2007 3:01 PM) : 

holly cow! Lis, I am speechless...

 

Blogger Dolores said ... (4/23/2007 3:59 PM) : 

bbbbbbbbbbbbbanana! Brilliant! Can't wait to try this one! (I'm with Mary -- health food!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/23/2007 7:46 PM) : 

WOW! Impressive. I shoulda gotten out my piper, too. I just love all those tubes of chocolate in those glasses. Yum. Makes my eyeballs fat just looking at it. And you had bananas in yours, too. Mmmmm..... Don't forget to check the archives in Sass, for mine. Still can't fix the front page. Sigh.

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (4/23/2007 7:55 PM) : 

Lis- the combination of this is devastating and brilliant. I don't usually like bananas much, but this is gorgeous. And how wonderful that hubbs is away, when you have this around.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/23/2007 10:18 PM) : 

Helene - well there is bananas in it.. so it'd fit into your cravings. hehe

Ellie muh luv - lol tissues on the way!

Mary - HAR! I couldn't agree more!

Jenny - I wanna know what you think after you make it, 'kay? =)

Bril - teee heee.. thank God for a handful of choc chips when in dire need.

Tanna - you made me snork my coffee!! hahahaa! I'd be happy to fill up your hat. :D

Ivonne - Thank you sweetie!

Cheryl - You know you're my best friend now. =)

Ari - I agree with pretty much everything you've said about The Martha. Truthfully, I hate her recipes (more on that later) and I don't have the time or energy to complete any of her craft projects, nor can I afford her flowers.. but I love the fact that she's such a snob - right in your face kinda snob - but yet she's charmed the pants off of millions of women who idolize her. She's my hero. :D

Okay well no, she's not my hero - but I am quite entertained by her. lol

Kristen - That's like the best compliment EVER! I totally wish I was a rockstar! heee! Sorry you ran out of time this month.. but there's always next month! ;)

Arfi - Thank you so much!

Anita - Thanks! Coming from you that's a fantastic compliment for me. =))

Sis - Totally understandable. I just wish I could have been one of your apt pupils. =)

Kev - you crack me up - as always.. how I heart you. =) No, I will not make the pizza until after your tutorial - I must be taught by the master!! Happy vacation.. don't forget to bring me back that Greek God. *swoon*

Patricia - Thank you! and you're welcome =)

Gilly - Next time I want to make your maple with the banana.. Mmmm!

Linda - hehee thanks :D

Gattina - How can that be? ;)

Dolores - heee! I'm with her too! ;)

Kelly - I can NOT get over we made chocolate/banana mousse! I have to admit, it wasn't what I was expecting from you (although soooo happy that you went with the banana split mousse) - when you said Champagne was in it.. well, I didn't know exactly what to expect! I can't wait to try it!

Callipygia - Thank you honey =) I have to say if you are not a banana lover then definitely don't try this.. the banana flavor really pops and lingers. Now for someone like me, who could practically live on bananas.. I think it's mighty fine. :D

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (4/24/2007 2:25 AM) : 

I think your recipe more than makes up for your tardiness.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (4/24/2007 12:02 PM) : 

OH MY GOD I want some of that NOW. You rock!

 

Blogger Katie B. said ... (4/25/2007 12:28 PM) : 

This recipe sounds dangerous(ly good!)! I'll have to start with extra bananas, because I most certainly would eat them all!

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (4/26/2007 4:16 PM) : 

I bet hubby is sorry he went away. I can only imagine caramalised banana. It sounds decadent. Thanks for your kind words and the shout for A tatse Of Yellow. And thanks fro joining HHDD.

 

Blogger Blame It on Paris said ... (4/26/2007 9:14 PM) : 

This looks and sounds fabulous. I can almost taste it. I will definitely have to try it.

 

post a comment